Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Loyalty Sworn

I don't even really have a title for this one. It's the first "happy" one I've written, that wasn't for a specific girl, or any situation like that. I usually write angry, or sad - I feel most people do - and so I tried my hand at this shindig.

I mentioned a few months ago how Thrice was blowing my mind with their new album, lyrically and musically; one song called "The Weight" is perhaps one of the best love songs I've ever heard, heavy or not. It's simply epic; here's the lyrics:

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/thrice/theweight.html

One of the couplets is:
"And come what may, I won’t abandon you or leave you behind,
Because love is a loyalty sworn, not a burning for a moment."

This is what came out of that:

if love is a loyalty sworn not a burden
why do we speak of it as a ball and chain
the bond to bind the bond
the studded mace at the end of hard chain links
to shatter the shield of your resolve
but I refuse to believe in burdens
if love is a loyalty sworn
and not a burden borne
I want to kneel at your feet
and kiss my oath on your toes
I think of all the cigarettes and patient sex
we could have had on our porch
driving the sun below the line of the sky
tracing my fingers across your thighs
until it melts on the horizon
like the egg yolks leaking
from the over-easy breakfast
I brought you in bed
I want to peel your mind
like an onion
and find every layer inside
so I can tremble at your thoughts
like a leaf caught in the Santa Ana wind
I want to burn
I want my skin to crawl
as I walk a steaming tunnel of fire
caught in the oven of reunion
to end up in your arms
our chests pressed together
our heads pressed together
I want to learn every one of your smiles
1
when you’re surprised and delighted
your eyes shine like headlamps
through San Fran fog
beckoning me home
2
when you’re nervous
put the blindfold on
and take my hand
we’re going out
it’s a surprise
and I love it because
you’re so cute when you bite your lip
3
when you take what’s yours
when you own it
assume it
dominate it
claim it
climb on top and hold it
4
when you’re oh so close
and I know your coming
I want your legs choking
my ears while I work
I want to rear back and see it
just on the corners of your lips
with eyes closed
until just before the end
5
when you’re sleeping
curled in a ball
the way you fit perfectly in my arms
and I can’t help
but kiss your nose
6
when you’re pissed
and don’t you to show it
way too much teeth
you’re trying to hard to fake it
7
when you’re not really pissed
but you’re trying to pretend
and failing completely
I can tell
and I’m going to keep tickling you
8
when you’re proud
yeah you did it
they loved your show
I want to learn every inch of you
and your thoughts
I want to learn
how your hair falls
across your naked breasts
the way you look when you come
I want to eat massive quantities of nutmeg
and have French vanilla buttercream frosting sex
with cinnamon swirl pancakes for dessert
lying in bed
how you like your eggs and your coffee
when you finally awake
the way sweat runs down your back
our favorite way to cuddle
I want to round trip with you
to cities where they speak funny
to forests where we can’t set up our tent
to beaches where we lose our clothes
and run through the water anyway
I want to watch your goldenrod feet
drum sunlight tattoos
on the giving ground
barefoot and free
I want to pipe dream restaurants
and build communal houses
and push them all past disbelief
into reality
with you laughing by my side
I want to take one way trips with you
to everywhere we will be
and always move ahead
through anything
through everything
I want to roadtrip
through this life with you
choking on your farts
even with the windows down
I want to trip while tripping
across the sawdust plains
and living wood forests of the West
to stroll vegetable television
through the peach groves in Sicily
through the hills and the valleys
the bills and the new house we build
the mid life restaurant
the mistakes
the birthdays and holidays
to get home to the couch
I swear those were mine
and Dominoes and Coldstone
do not mix
like we do
tangled and tickled
snuggled and satisfied
I want to wash your hair
and run the soap down the curves of your back
and the freckles on your shoulder blade
I want to spin you
put you through some moves
in the middle of the crowd
for no reason at all
except we’ve got legs
and love
and each other
and the thing is
I haven’t found you yet
I’ve been looking
but you’re so damned hard to find
and I hope
that you’re looking too
because I want to meet soon
life’s waiting
let’s start the car
grab the wheel
and drive
find me
and take my hand
I swear my love
I swear my loyalty
I swear
I’m yours

No comments:

Post a Comment