Monday, October 5, 2009

Alternatives

The inspiration for this piece came while I was driving home from that first mic in Glendale, where I popped my cherry with Disney's Necrophilia. I wrote a few thoughts, and ended up finishing it by my pool a few days later--that was the day I found myself eating pb & j waffles naked, and drinking tequila. I thought it would be more constructive to add margarita mix to my tequila, put on a swimsuit, get some air, and produce the following fairly untitled piece.

There's something I want to tell you
Something that got caught in my mind
Something to ponder when I'm stuck in the grind
And maybe, probably, you won't give two shits
But what I'm thinking about is the fact that the universe splits
That space and time divide
Every second everything that could happen does happne
Different world are born and never collide
If you flip a coin it lands twice
One world its tails, in the next its heads
Here you exist, but
a million other places you were born dead
So listen to the words I shape from my breath
Because what I want to speak of is death
Every syllable that flies off my tongue
Is a universe where you didn't bite a gun
There's a billion of those
And a trillion where you chose
To jump from that bridge
You never made it here, and that's fine
Because last Friday I had another beer
And a million worlds out of three
I didn't see the stop sign
All of this hit me one night
while I was driving down Grand
a headlight bounced off my mirror
and splattered on the back of my hand
and it was just a flash
but elsewhere it was a crash
and another again the light of a meteor
falling from the sky and crushing my car
across two miles of earth
a reverse violent birth
to send me from this world to the next
and the strange thing
is that
this.
is.
comforting.
Why?

Because if time so splits
then I can think to myself
that
there's another world where I can respect myself
and
in that world my nuts aren't dried on a shelf
and
in that world she didn't fuck someone else

No comments:

Post a Comment